World Sleep Day: Friday 18th of March
Because why wouldn’t there be a day entirely dedicated to the thing we love most? SLEEP. The theme for this year's world sleep day is ‘Quality sleep, Sound Mind, Happy World’. The 3 things that matter most..right? How do you achieve these 3 things and why are they important? Keep reading to find out!
How does quality of sleep maintain mental health?
When our bodies aren’t getting enough rest, our mental health is the first thing that is impacted. With a lack of sleep, we are unable to process our emotions properly and our resilience to manage and cope with things that occur in our everyday life decreases. If you are struggling with your mental health at the moment, a healthy sleep routine may be the solution that you need.
How might better sleep help people focus during the day?
When we are resting our bodies properly at night time it becomes easier for us to remain alert and pay attention during activities throughout the day. Have you ever felt your mind drifting off at work and sat there with that ‘I can’t be bothered with this today’ attitude? Trust us..we have all been there, but how do we fix this? Implementing a couple extra hours of quality deep sleep throughout the night may help to decrease those feelings of laziness and boost your motivation during the day.
6 Simple steps to Improve your quality of sleep
- Maintain a sleep schedule that works for your lifestyle and allows up to 8 hours of zzz’s so that your body has enough time to reset and rejuvenate without oversleeping.
- Limit your daytime naps to 20-30 minutes to allow a deeper sleep throughout the night.
- Incorporate slow exercises and stretches before bed to promote calmness.
- Exercising for a minimum of 30 minutes per day will help to reduce excess energy at night time.
- If you have been eyeing off those new linen sheets at your favourite bedding store…go get them! Making your bed your own slice of heaven is essential for a comfortable, deep sleep.
- Love the smell of lavender? Great news: switching on a diffuser with an essential oil aroma such as lavender promotes calmness and helps us to fall asleep quicker.